- 5 Excellence and Innovation Awards from the AASCU
- Named CSU President of the Year by the California State Student Association
- Named City of Fresno District 4 Man of the Year
- Recipient of the Mayor of Fresno’s Community Partnership Award
- Ohtli Award winner, the highest honor granted by the Government of Mexico to leaders in the United States
Dr. Joseph I. Castro – Chancellor of the California State University System
- by Jaymie Yonemoto
- May 06, 2021
- 1 min read
Dr. Joseph I. Castro is the first Californian and first person of color to serve as the chancellor of the California State University (CSU), our nation's largest, most ethnically and economically diverse four-year university.
The grandson of immigrants from Mexico and the son of a single mother, he was also the first in his family to graduate from a university, eventually earning a Ph.D. in higher education policy and leadership from Stanford University. As a renowned and gifted scholar in the fields of leadership and public policy, Dr. Castro has mentored hundreds of other scholars and practitioners.
Dr. Castro’s leadership has been recognized near and far:
If you want to gain new insights on leadership, mentorship and belief, this is the interview you don’t want to miss!